Feed your cravings with smart snacks At your desk and feeling the 3 p.m. hunger pang? No need to run to the vending machine. Try these healthy snacks that are sure to fill you up and keep you going until dinner.
1. Yogurt – It’s a top-notch source of bone-building calcium, with 415 milligrams – about 42 percent of the daily value in every one-cup serving. Be sure to choose nonfat or low-fat varieties.
2. Bananas – Widely recognized as a good source of potassium, bananas are also surprisingly rich in vitamin B6. One four-ounce fruit contains about 35 percent of the daily value. A medium-sized banana provides 400 mg of potassium – 11 percent of daily value – and contains just 110 calories and four grams of fiber. Bananas also contain plenty of carbohydrates which are the body’s main source of energy.
3. Raw Almonds – These nutritional powerhouses are packed with protein, fiber, vitamin E and Omega 3 Fatty Acids. A small handful is a great snack any time throughout the day.
4. String Cheese – This lower-fat variation on mozzarella cheese supplies 250 milligrams of calcium per 1 1/2 – ounce serving. That’s about 25 percent of the daily value.
5. Apple – An apple a day can satisfy your sweet tooth and help do something good for your body. According to the U.S. Apple Association, apples provide essential vitamins, minerals and fiber that may help to protect from chronic diseases. They’re also full of antioxidants.
6. Unsweetened Applesauce – With a long shelf life and its low-cost, unsweetened apple sauce is an easy and healthy snack. A great source of fiber and antioxidants!
7. Smoothies – Fuel up mid-afternoon. Blend fruit with juice, yogurt or milk, and ice. Many store-made smoothies have added sugars, so make your own. Idea: Use AdvoCare Meal Replacement shakes as your smoothie – delicious and nutritious! Buy AdvoCare Fruit & Fiber Bars
9. Two tablespoons of peanut butter with celery – Peanut butter is a great source of protein and energy, helping you make it through the afternoon without hunger.
10. Whole-Wheat English Muffins are a smart switch from the traditional kind. Enriched with minerals, iron and fiber, they make a perfect snack when toasted and spread with protein-rich peanut butter.
11. Pudding – Get a calcium boost when you add two tablespoons of dry-milk powder or a pouch of AdvoCare Meal Replacement Shake to the dry mix before stirring in milk. Resources: www.self.com, www.parents.com